17 Oct 2016

Spent the day touching up the two front pieces to get them ready for a thin layer of epoxy/micro – a layer easily sanded in preparation for paint. Part way through that I figured the middle section should be riveted on as part of becoming a permanent assembly, so that was done. Then I figured there’s no point in fully prepping the front sections with the intercooler section still sitting there in foam.

First up was making a proper aluminum frame that’ll become a permanent part of the assembly, a frame so I don’t have to worry about the attachment points tearing out for whatever reason. It also allows a close tolerance on the fit-up between the composite and intercooler to minimize leaks. With that done, the foam was pushed into place and (not shown) a few areas had epoxy/micro added to bond the aluminum to the foam for now.

In the last pictures is this little guy I found at work  – “little” being relative because a praying mantis is really big for a bug at about 3″ long. It was really cool how how his head could turn just like a person’s and it was intimidating how he’d turn his head and track my movements. In this picture he’s looking at the camera upside down.