20 Oct 2008

A major chapter has closed – Kimini was shipped to her new owner last night.

As this is my first full-blown CAD project, I get to learn all the quirks like everyone else, like CAD’s wonderful ability to see everything with such exact precision. The snap-to feature is something I’ve been using all along and taking – too much – for granted. Move a tube to a junction and it “snaps” to the node, as it should. However, had I zoomed in close, I would have seen that it does indeed snap to a node… just not necessarily the one I intended! So where several tubes come together; the situation’s ripe to have an added line be “slightly off” due to snapping to something nearby. The real damage (timewise) is that later tubes carry along the error, building errors the further along I went. My payment for being lax is to have to go back through the entire chassis and confirm each node is truly a singular point. I also noticed that the fuel tank frame doesn’t quite fit… huh? Sigh, oh well, another thing that I thought was finished isn’t. Add it to the list… but it’s coming along, quirks and all.

That aside, the last of the tubes are in place, minus the rack and radiator mount; now it’s a matter of figuring out how to optimize all the tubes. After that each tube will become its own component and get the end profiles cut; it’s not hard, just very tedious. After that, everything gets dimensioned – that’s the fun part – then it’s time to start cutting steel! The idea is to build the car from these plans, adding notes and corrections as I go along, so that by the time the car is built there’s a known-accurate set of plans. Unlike with Kimini, it means that if Midlana ever gets bent, there will be accurate drawings to make new parts.