29 Apr 2012

Two substantial items off the list: finally added the wing mounts, and got tired of the headlights rubbing on the tilting front cover. The first picture (barely) shows two of the rear wing mounts – the bushings are in the down tube at lower-right and in the main hoop at top-left. Bushings were also added at the front, visible above and below the steering rack boot. The wing assemblies will get built up as a separate project after the car’s done. When the front bushings were being added I had to loosen up the suspension arms some. It’s a good thing I didn’t take off down the street when it was backed into the driveway because there are a lot of hand-tight suspension bolts…

Originally, the front cover was going to be separate from the nose but on a whim it was decided to make it a tilt-up assembly. Part of the reason was to not have a flimsy and light painted panel sitting loose on the ground which seemed like asking for trouble. What I overlooked was that due to the taper of the chassis, the front edge of the cover swept outward and rubbed against both headlights, which looked bad and poorly designed. Instead of adding wear-strips, I bit the bullet and added spacers to move them outboard by about 1″, enough so they no longer rub. It was either that or be annoyed every time I open or close the cover.

No news in the nest department yet but the hummingbirds should be due any day. In other news, there’s a vacation coming up in a bit which may mean finishing the car, really. “Finished” in this case obviously doesn’t mean painted and on the road; it means no more welding and drilling on the chassis – that’s a big deal emotionally.