The sawhorses supporting the table are rated for a combined load of 2400 lbs, so “technically” there’s nothing to worry about. However, the rating is apparently a laboratory-tested value using a static vertical load. However, if it’s a real-world load that is sometimes bumped side-to-side – like a car project – the wobbly, spindly legs don’t endear much confidence. After a reader mentioned a builder’s table collapsing, it pushed me to add two 4 x 4 legs with cross-bracing at the heavy end of the table now before things get heavier. Better safe than sorry.
I can already tell that making the table 60″ x 120″ wasn’t a luxury; any smaller and too much of the chassis would hang off the edges. I thought (for what, a day?) that maybe a 4 x 8 ft table would have worked – nope. While the wheelbase is 96″, the overall length of the car is about 11 feet; good thing I didn’t cut corners. BTW, one good sign of how stiff the screwed-and-glued table assembly is, was when the drivetrain was sat on it. Not one pop, creak or crackle. Good.
Speaking of getting the engine on the table, I turned the crank several revolutions with a wrench. It was reassuring to feel the compression in each cylinder – no sudden clunks or scraping sounds. Another concern averted.
As a fun side project, the selection of turbochargers is narrowing down. I’m fully aware that a turbo isn’t a requirement, much less needing it now, but at least once, I’d like to own a powerful rear-wheel-drive turbo car. I realize a turbo can make a car slower at the autocross, and potentially only a little faster at trackday events, but you know, I don’t care. This car’s all about having fun. I’m not building an F1 car, trying to win an SCCA national championship, or even a local autocross event. It’s for fun. I might even buy the turbo early as motivation, an awesome component to serve as a goal, to provide a suitable platform worthy of its inclusion.