2 Mar 2008

Been working hard on the front suspension design which is testing my nerves – just like 12 years ago. Since I’m using Mazda Miata front uprights, I wondered what kind of numbers Mazda used. The internet revealed the stock suspension points, and even if they aren’t exact, the Miata’s setup is very interesting! What I find fascinating is how Mazda doesn’t follow the commonly held notion about keeping the roll-center stationary, not even close. But if it’s examined using force application points, figuring that the outboard tire carries most of the load, then it works. Of course, the reality is that it (the car) works just fine, as Miata owners will attest. So it’s very interesting how Mazda’s setup violates the so-called stationary roll-center rule… very interesting indeed. So, good, this means I press on with my suspension design and hopefully have some good numbers this week. Once the front suspension is done I can start working my way aft.

25 Feb 2008

Bought the domain midlana.com, the future site for Midlana builders. Granted it’s early but I didn’t want to find the domain gone if I wait. Looking into various forum software packages, I’m not sure what I’m signing up for, probably hours of removing spam for enlargement devices, Nigerian bank offers, and on-line pharmacies, lol.

The garage is filling up, with few nibbles but no offers on Kimini. I realize it could be a long time before finding a buyer; I need to get off my butt and start advertising more seriously. I figured I’d post it here first to give longtime readers first shot at it, but all it proves is that the Internet will beat a path to your door – as long as everything’s free. So I’m going to start showing it at the “Cars and Coffee” event in Irvine, CA, where some very expensive hardware show up, along with some rather wealthy car nuts. That venue should be good for finding buyers.

A buddy said I should have held off buying an engine (which will always be the case.) He said the one to have “today” is a direct-injection turbo engine. The big advantage is that there’s no detonation (no fuel in the combustion chamber until needed), so a turbo 10-11:1 engine has very little lag. Oh well, there’s always something better that’ll come along. Eh, I’m fine with what I’m doing, and like I said, there’s always a better engine next year.

I’m reminded that I’m leaving out project details again. It’s not on purpose, I simply forget to include them. The suspension uprights are Miata all around. While they’re not perfect, the reality is that they’re widely available and affordable. Going through the design process with Kimini taught me how make things easy to build. While Kimini has excellent suspension geometry, it’s because the front uprights were heavily modified and the rears fully-custom fabricated. That’s fine if you don’t mind spending weeks and weeks making them, including using a lathe to fabricate bearing cups to an accuracy of 0.0001″. However…

That said, I’m not sure I like the Miata rear uprights. Even as I work through the front suspension, I’m eyeing them with more of a glare than satisfaction, especially the top mount. In the Kimini book I note how some builders used bolt-on rear spindles – and how much easier that is than making bearing cups. In fact the latest Locost book specifies fabricating rear uprights using bolt-on Ford Sierra hubs. I’d use something domestic, but I’m torn between making the car fast and easy to build and slightly slower to build but having better rear geometry. Of course the question becomes, “How much better would it be?” I’m certain enough of my, um, uncertainty about the Miata parts that I’ve already ordered a different pair of rear hubs that bolt on. This allows making a fully-custom upright with the pick-ups where I want, unlike the Miata parts that force the issue. It’s too early to tell which path will be taken, and so you see some of the endless behind-the-scenes dithering going on. Again, whichever uprights don’t work out, back to Ebay they go.

20 Feb 2008

More goodies. The nose is from Kinetic Vehicles and is their “catfish nose”. Since I don’t have an engine up front I want to run a low profile nose and here it is. The styling is, as I was warned, going to be tricky, since Locosts are narrow vehicles. I’ve made things hard on myself because I’ve pushed the passenger compartment foward. This means the body taper is going to be tough to match up with the taper of the nose cone. The question is, can I make it work or is it going to look bad? Of course the nose can be widened, but the goal is to try to use it as-is. That way I – and other builders – don’t have to mess with composite at all. That said, I suspect it’s going to have to be widened anyway, but we’ll see. If a decent number of people decide to build the car, I’m sure Jack at Kinetic will be willing to build a wider mold, 😉 Designing the suspension around the nose is a bad idea, as compromising proper wheel control to work with the nose imposes a lifelong handicap on the suspension. So, now starts the endless interations to settle on a workable wheel track.

I have some ideas about how the chassis sides will be styled and I think it’ll look pretty sweet – clean, functional, yet bold, if I do say so myself. Of course people may look at it and think, “Ewww”, so we’ll see, lol.

Also received a K20A2 oil pump and pan, necessary as part of converting the K24A1 engine to the high performance version. The transmission should arrive next Monday.

The last picture is my bestest buddy, Cooper, who likes to rest his heavy head on my knee, tug-of-war rope in mouth, all ready to play. He’ll sit there for quite a while, figuring – correctly – that I’m well aware of the message he’s sending.