14 Aug 2016

I’m beat. The car’s ready to start but the heat and humidity were enough to call it a day a bit early. Well, that, and neighbors talking forever in their driveway and I didn’t feel like an audience – and a wife wanting to go to the store.

Anyway, the pictures pretty much tell the story. On a whim I decided to have the wastegate exhausts stay separate from the turbo. Performance-wise it’s a good idea, though noise-wise we’ll have to see. It isn’t that different since before, the wastegates dumped into the exhaust pipe about 4″ from the end, so that didn’t make any sense running it that way without a muffler. Also on a whim I decided the exhausts would look nice exiting on centerline directly below the license plate. Though they don’t look like it, they are long enough that they’ll extend through the screen once it’s added.

The wastegate exhaust tubing is rather floppy due to the flex joints, which is a good thing. Still to fabricate is a small “shelf” that the exhausts will be rest on, held in place with springs.

10 Aug 2016

Forgot to mention that when the wastegates were added, small “scoops” were created, extending part way into the main tubes to redirect a portion of the gas flow toward the wastegates. While the scoops may impede flow slightly during cruise, that’s also when boost and flow are minimal so it shouldn’t be an issue. Under full throttle though, the wastegates need as much flow as possible, so the scoops benefit that condition. Time will tell if this is a brilliant idea or whether the scoops will be abraded by the heat and gas flow, with little bits of stainless getting blown into the turbine…

The new C-clip pliers are far more robust than the now-broken tool. They did sort of over-engineer them though, canting the tips inward in apparent anticipation of large C-clips exerting enough force to bend the tips straight. The problem is that because the tips are canted, they don’t fit into the C-clip with it laying flat without modifying the holes slightly – okay, done – but for some reason the C-clip still wasn’t snapping into its groove. It “seemed” to be seated but I suspected it might just be holding the compressor section in by friction alone. That could catastrophic if the turbo heats up and the car hits a bump, the compressor section could shift allow compressor-to-housing contact. The worst thing is that would allow ground-up metal bits to get sucked into the engine, destroying it. After some messing about I finally noticed that the C-clip has a slight taper on one side – and of course I’d be trying to install it upside down. Flipped it over and presto, in it went with a satisfying click. Glad I didn’t leave it as “probably fine.”